Four educators (from elementary to high school) share their best advice for those doing distance / remote learning, including one educator in Hong Kong who has just completed his 10th week of remote teaching.
I reached out to a handful of people on Twitter who had done distance learning for at least a couple of weeks already. Student engagement is one of the biggest challenges in distance learning. While I originally just asked for their best tip, I love that thoughts and guidance on how to increase student engagement was a part of each of their answers.
In the episode, my guests are:
Andrew Chiu | Hong Kong
Middle-School Digital Design Teacher
*just finished his 10th week of distance learning*
CJ Reynolds | New Jersey
High-School Literature & History of Hip Hop Teacher
Mark Rogers | Texas
1st Grade Teacher
Sam Kary | California
6th Grade Humanities Teacher
They share the following:
- the simplify, simplify, simplify approach Andrew takes
- practical tips in communication, organization, and video conferencing from 10-weeks of trial and error
- how CJ hooks his students right at the beginning of the lesson
- how Mark keeps his 1st graders connected to one another without video conferencing
- how Sam structures engaging at-home projects that are differentiated and support students each step of the way
CONNECT WITH THESE EDUCATORS
- Twitter | @chew_ed
- Get his new book ‘Teach Your Class Off’
- Hear a previous episode of the podcast CJ was on where he talked about how he uses social media in the classroom.
- YouTube | /realrapwiththereynolds
- Instagram | @realrapwithreynolds
- Facebook | /realrapwithreynolds
- Twitter | @realrapreynolds
- Hear about the looping project Mark is doing with his students in a previous episode of the podcast
- Twitter | @rogersmarkd
- Check out one of the resources Sam created that I contributed to | Student-podcasting project for remote learning.
- Twitter | @newedtechclass
- Facebook | /newedtechclassroom
- YouTube | /newedtechclassroom
- Website | newedtechclassroom.com
CONNECT WITH THOM
SUPPORT THE PODCAST
- Enroll in the How to Teach Kids About Money course for educators
- Sign up for the TeamEdu newsletter
- Leave a podcast rating & review
I create my podcast using Adobe Audition and my videos using Adobe Premiere.
Click on the banner below to see the teacher discounts for all the Adobe tools!
Contains affiliate links.